How can a thief steal my identity?
A thief can get your personal information in person or online. Here are some ways thieves might steal someone’s identity. A thief might:
- steal your mail or garbage to get your account numbers or your Social Security number
- trick you into sending personal information in an email
- steal your account numbers from a business or medical office
- steal your wallet or purse to get your personal information
How do I know if someone steals my identity?
Sometimes, you can tell if someone steals your identity.
- Read your bills. Do you see charges for things you did not buy?
- Watch your bank account statement. Are there withdrawals you did not make? Are there changes you do not expect?
- Check your mail. Did you stop getting a bill? Or did you start getting a new bill you do not know about?
- Get your credit report. Are there accounts or other information you do not recognize?
TVACCU provides IDProtect® provides protection for you and your joint account holders for any identity fraud event, financial or otherwise, anywhere in the world even if the event has nothing to do with your account at TVA Community Credit Union.
IdProtect service is not available to a “signer” or “beneficiary” of the account who is not an account owner. IDProtect service is not available to businesses and their employees, clubs and/or churches and their members, schools and their employees/students.
Click here for more on ID Protection from TVACCU!